Victoria College recently partnered with the University of Houston-Victoria to offer 2+2 plans that provide a more affordable option for students seeking a bachelor’s degree. Students can earn an associate degree at VC and then transfer to UHV to earn a bachelor’s degree.
“The 2+2 model allows students to spend their first two years at Victoria College, where they will benefit from the community college focus of helping all students succeed,” said Bobby Cubriel, VC’s Director of Advising & Counseling Services. “After receiving their associate degree, students can transition to UHV for their remaining two years and earn the same degree as students who spend all four years at a university.”
Darin Kazmir, Jennifer Yancey, and Amy Mundy donned 2+2 Plan T-shirts for GenTX Day in May 2013. The three VC employees are also VC and UHV alumni.
The 2+2 plans guide students in the courses they need to take at VC and the courses they will need after they transfer to UHV.
“VC’s 2+2 Plan is absolutely the most cost-effective way to earn your bachelor’s degree, and following the 2+2 model means there are no hours lost in transfer,” said Dr. Tom Butler, VC President. “And, of course, you receive two degrees instead of just one – VC’s associate degree and UHV’s bachelor’s degree.”
Students who take advantage of the 2+2 plans will be able to save money by staying at home where they have the support of their family, room and board, and help with childcare, if necessary.
“VC and UHV have a long history of joining together for the benefit of our region, dating back to UHV’s inception 40 years ago,” Butler said. “These 2+2 degrees are another fine example of that cooperation, to the benefit of our students and our community.”
The 2+2 plans VC currently has in place with UHV are:
- Bachelor of Science – Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Arts or Science – Psychology
- Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences
- General Business
- Leadership & Enterprise Studies
- Legal Assistance & Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration – Accounting
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies – Grades 4–8
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies –
- Early Childhood – Grade 6
- Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies – Secondary
Since 2010, VC and UHV have had a seamless articulation agreement for students who transition from the Associate Degree in Nursing Program at VC to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program at UHV.
VC officials say more 2+2 plans may be developed
in the future.
For more information or to enroll in the VC/UHV 2+2 Plan, contact VC’s Advising & Counseling Services Office at (361) 582-2400.
For students wishing to venture away from home, other universities that have 2+2 transfer agreements with Victoria College include:
- Midwestern State University
- Sam Houston State University
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- Texas A&M University
- Texas State University
- The University of Texas at Dallas
- The University of Texas at San Antonio
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston (Medical Laboratory Program)
- University of Houston-Clear Lake
Top photo: Victoria College President Tom Butler, seated on left, and Dr. Phil Castille, President of the University of Houston-Victoria, recently signed a 2+2 Plan between the two institutions while Dr. Patricia Vandervoort, VC Vice President of Instruction, and Dr. Jeffrey Cass, UHV Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, looked on. The new agreement helps students earning certain associate degrees from VC easily transfer to UHV and earn related bachelor’s degrees.